For information about career opportunities with the Ontario SPCA please read the available positions below. The Ontario SPCA Provincial Office and its 56 Branches and affiliated Humane Societies employ a wide variety of staff from animal care attendants to investigators and more. Keep checking for new and updated employment opportunities across Ontario or check with your local shelter
The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Ontario SPCA) is a registered charity with a Provincial Office in Newmarket and supports over 50 communities throughout Ontario. The following opportunity is available at the Provincial Animal and Education Centre.
Canada Summer Jobs Student Position – Summer Camp Counsellor
Must be attending school full time, returning in September 2015 and be between 15 and 30 years of age
3 Full Time Summer Positions – 35 hours per week
The role of the Camp Counsellor is to enhance the camper’s experience, and to provide a fun and safe learning environment. Utilizing OSPCA Humane Education Guidelines, the counsellor will guide and encourage camp participants to develop an informed knowledge, respect and compassion towards each other, animals, the environment, and our community.
• Responsible for aiding program staff during activities.
• Responsible for both animals and children during socialization periods, understanding the importance of the lessons.
• Provide leadership and support to fellow counsellors and campers.
• Responsible for being an active part of all camp activities i.e. crafts, outdoor games and learning, camp field trips, hikes, animal socialization, free time activities, etc.
• Responsible for knowing the location of their campers at all times.
• Responsible for promoting a positive healthy environment for the camper and providing strong leadership skills for the campers
• Welcome and introduce special guests and presenters.
• Develop a good working relationship with the program staff, other OSPCA staff and camp director.
• Ontario Secondary School Diploma
• Prior Camp counselor experience an asset
• Prior work with animals an asset
• A general understanding of the OSPCA and a commitment to animal welfare practices and philosophies
• Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
• Problem solving and decision making
• Self motivating and energetic in order to enhance or encourage a positive camp experience for all participants
• Strong Organizing and planning skills
• Critical thinking abilities
• Clear police record check and vulnerable sector screening required
If you have a passion for animal welfare, please forward your resume by June 12, 2015 to:
Central Regional Manager
We thank all applicants for your interest in the Ontario SPCA however; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Ontario SPCA) is a registered charity with a Provincial Office in Newmarket and supports over 50 communities throughout Ontario. The following opportunity is available at the Orangeville & District Branch location.
Animal Shelter Assistant/Summer Camp Leader
Summer Student Position – Canada Summer Jobs
Reporting to the Branch Manager, you will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of the Humane Education Summer Camp for children and performing general animal care and cleaning duties in the Animal Shelter, and assisting with branch community awareness. Essential functions include:
• Providing assistance to the Camp Coordinator/Leader in the delivery of two weeks of Humane Education summer day camps for children
• Working in the animal shelter; duties may include the following and others as assigned:
• General cleaning and disinfecting of the premises and equipment used within the animal shelter, i.e.: food bowls, kitty litter pans, utensils, carrying cages
• Feeding animals
• Laundry duties
• General bathing and grooming of animals
• Exercising animals
• Exterior maintenance e.g.: cleaning of outside dog runs, light garden duties
• General administration and inputting information into the internet based shelter management system
• Participation in community awareness or fundraising events
You will have the ability to work in a team environment and possess good communication and customer service skills. Experience with recreational or educational leadership to young people is preferred. Candidates must have a High School Diploma and be enrolled in a college or university program , attending school full time immediately prior to this summer employment and planning to return to school full time in the fall and be between the age of 17-30 years old. Must be able to provide clean police reference and vulnerable sector check.
If you have a passion for animal welfare, please forward your resume by May 29, 2015 to:
Branch Manager, Orangeville & District Branch
650 Riddell Road, Orangeville, ON L9W 5G5
We thank all applicants for your interest in the Ontario SPCA however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Northumberland Humane Society is an affiliate of the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Ontario SPCA).
Agent – Full time
As an Agent, you will be responsible for investigating and reporting on all animal neglect and abuse in Northumberland County. Adhering to the Northumberland Humane Society and Ontario SPCA operational policies and procedures, you will enforce the Ontario SPCA Act and the Criminal Code of Canada. May perform other NHS position functions.
The successful candidates will possess an O.S.S.D. or equivalent and post-secondary education in Police Foundations, Law and Security Education, or Animal Enforcement. Preference will be given to those candidates who have previous by-law enforcement experience or related training, an excellent knowledge of regulations regarding animals and animal welfare. If considered, you must have a Valid Class “G” driver’s License and be able to provide and maintain a clean Drivers Abstract and Police Clearance Certificate.
If you have a passion for animal welfare and have the qualifications above, please forward your resume by to:
We thank all applicants for your interest in the Northumberland Humane Society; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.